Greenfield Family Network
Several enslaved people held in bondage by Gerard T. Greenfield filed petitions in the Circuit Court, using various arguments to try and obtain their freedom.
- Gerrard Truman Greenfield - b. 1722; died 1797, Prince George's County, Md.
+ Anne Parker - b. Oct. 1, 1722, Calvert County, Md.; died June 1810, Prince George's County, Md.
- Anne Truman Greenfield - b. 1747; d. 1810, Prince George's County, Md.
+ George Beall
- Susan Greenfield Beall - b. 1778; d. 1849, Washington, D.C. - surety for costs in suit against Gerard
- Amelia Truman Beall - b. 1776; d. 1838 - received an inheritance of $70 from her aunt, Maria Anne
+ Fielder Dorsett
- Thomas Truman Greenfield - b. 1744, Prince George's County, Md.; d. Nov. 15, 1825, Maury County, Tenn.
+ Priscilla Beckett
- Gerard Truman Greenfield - b. 1783; d. Feb. 25, 1847, Maury County, Tenn. - inherited a number of slaves from the estates of his aunt and uncle, including James Ash and Ann Bell; was also gifted Patt and her children and grandchildren
- Gabriel P. T. Greenfield - b. 1750; d. 1815 - bequeathed his slaves, including Ann Bell, to his sister Maria Anne, who left them to her nephew Gerard; also gifted Patt and her children and grandchildren to Gerard
- Mariamne 'Maria Anne' T. Greenfield - b. 1752; d. 1824 - inherited slaves from her brother Gabriel, and left them to her nephew, Gerard
- Sabina T. Greenfield - b. 1754; d. 1824 - left a part of her estate to her sister, Maria Anne
- Walter T. Greenfield - b. bef 1760; d. 1813
The Greenfield lineage revealed in the court records has been cross-referenced with the genealogical research at "Early Colonial Settlers of Southern Maryland and Virginia's Northern Neck Counties," and information filled in where necessary: i.e. birth order, Sabina's death date, Walter T. Greenfield, and how the Bealls and Dorsetts relate to the Greenfield family. See Gerard Truman Greenfield.
Information was also cross-referenced with probate records for Gerrard, Anne, Walter, Gabriel, Sabina, and Mariamne Greenfield found in Prince George's County records. Maryland Register of Wills Records, 1629-1999, FamilySearch.org; citing Prerogative Court, Hall of Records, Annapolis. Also the wills of Anne Truman Beall and Susanna Greenfield Beall filed in Washington, D.C. Probate Records (District of Columbia), 1801-1930, District of Columbia, Register of Wills; Ancestry.com, Washington, D.C., Wills and Probate Records, 1737-1952 [database on-line].